What’s the Difference Between Inkjet Mylar, Vellum, and PET Tracing Film?

If you are looking for wide-format rolls of translucent materials for printed and markable overlays, drafting, or mixed-media art projects, your options include xerographic or inkjet Mylar, inkjet vellum paper, translucent bond, or double-matte PET tracing films.

The key differences among these materials are costs, durability, and composition of the base material.

Vellum originally described a writing surface made from animal hide. Today, vellum paper is a thin, translucent paper that can be used for tracing, drafting, drawings, and overlays. Vellum papers are designed to withstand erasing and redrawing.

Archival vellum papers are acid-free and made from cotton fibers.

Sheets of inkjet vellum paper
Inkjet Vellum Paper

Mylar® is a DuPont-trademarked name for a bi-axillary-oriented polyester film (BoPET). Different types of Mylar are used applications ranging from packaging and food storage to insulation and industrial and decorative laminates. The Mylar used for drafting typically has a finely textured, “frosted” surface to ensure that inks or other water-based materials don’t smear or smudge.

PET tracing or drafting film is a translucent, matte polyester film that is similar to Mylar, but not manufactured or licensed by DuPont. It is available in different thicknesses.

A double-matte film is coated on both sides. The two-sided versions can be inkjet-printed on one side, and marked up with pencils, pens, or markers on the other side.

Translucent bond is a 3 mil, 18 lb. white coated bond paper. It costs less than a PET or Mylar film, but it tears more easily and isn’t quite as “see-through.”

Rolls of Mylar and PET double matte film
Mylar and double matte films

Mylar and PET tracing films provide a more durable alternative to vellum and bond papers. The films are naturally impervious to water and resist tearing. The films are also designed not to yellow with age.

Freedom Paper offers wide-format rolls of different types of translucent materials from a variety of manufacturers. Some materials are designed for inkjet printing; others are for wide-format xerographic copiers that use toners.

Vellum Papers

Freedom Paper 471 Production Vellum Rolls, 20 lb 

Freedom Paper 473 Solventless Vellum Rolls, 100% Rag, 20 lb

Freedom Paper 772 Solventless Inkjet Vellum, 100% Cotton, 20 lb.

Freedom Paper 472 Solventless Vellum Rolls, 100% Rag, 17 lb.

Freedom Paper 771 Solventless Inkjet Vellum 100% Cotton, 17 lb

Mylar and PET Films

Freedom Paper Inkjet Double Matte Mylar 4 mil

Freedom Paper 493 Double Matte Xerographic Mylar Film, 3 mil

Freedom Paper 494 Mylar Double Matte Xerographic Film, 4 mil

Freedom Paper 778 High Speed Frosted Double Matte Tracing Film, 5 mil 

Sihl 4571 Double Matte CAD Film, 4 mil

HP Double Matte Film, 152 gsm, 4 mil

Bond Papers

Freedom Paper 750 Translucent Inkjet Bond Paper, 18 lb.

HP Universal Tracing Paper Rolls 24 lb, 3 mil

HP Translucent Inkjet Bond 18 lb

For more information about inkjet printable vellum papers, Mylar, and PET tracing films, call the wide-format printing experts at Freedom Paper at 866-310-3335 or chat with us online at www.freedompaper.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.